Government Relations (Mid & Senior Level opportunities)
Reporting directly to the AMCHAM CEO/Executive Director, this role is responsible for the following tasks:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive Government and External Affairs deliverable and strategy in coordination with the CEO / AMCHAM Leadership.
- Conduct meetings of AMCHAM members to engage them to understand their business models and encourage them to volunteer their expertise to support the advocacy goals of the Chamber.
- Support business leaders and sectors; work with AMCHAM committees to grow community and content.
- As necessary, report cabinet resolutions and policy/regulatory-related news at AMCHAM events.
- Work with a small team of government relations staff as a hands-on member of the AMCHAM team and be an essential conduit across various inter-departmental staff.
- Monitor the regulatory and political landscape for threats and opportunities to U.S. business and promptly communicate this intelligence to the CEO/Executive Director and relevant staff.
- Build AMCHAM’s relationships with officials at key government agencies (e.g. Ministries of Finance, International Trade & Industry, Communications & Multimedia, Science & Technology, Domestic Trade, Tourism, Bank Negara, etc., and related departments and agencies, along with State & Municipal authorities), including the education of officials from these agencies about the value of U.S. business, thereby improving the Chamber’s overall reputation.
- Contribute to content and ideas on position papers in conjunction with the AMCHAM members, Committees, etc., to be presented and used as necessary in communicating regulatory issues that affect U.S. business.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the CEO as business needs and the Chamber evolves and grows.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Looking for an individual who is passionate about their role & contribution to a purpose-driven organization.
- Minimum working experience in a related field or role: 4-5 years
- Experience in positions related to public policy, government affairs, or advocacy
- Experience in front-facing roles and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work with ambiguity and complexity; is a team player and will be expected to contribute ideas to discussions
- Applicants with a track-record for relationship and consensus building will be considered favorably.
- Looking for an outgoing personality who is comfortable meeting people and developing professional relationships.
- Ability to work independently while supporting and building effective team dynamics to meet the Chamber’s vision and objectives
- Willing to uphold the Chamber’s high level of trust, integrity, and confidentiality.
- Understands that the role will have demands on time, e.g., evenings, occasional weekends, and short-stay trips.
- Fluent in English and Bahasa Malaysia, both oral and written; translation experience will be an asset.
- Comfortable working with G-Suite, Microsoft Suite of Products (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Teams), macOS, and experience with Virtual Event tools like Zoom, MS Teams, and Google Meet.
Applicants must send a CV & Cover Letter to [email protected] for consideration.
Please answer this question in your cover letter reflecting on your experience and your future: “How will working at AMCHAM grow you as a person?”