Government Relations Specialist
Government Relations Specialist
Closing date for applications: 11 March 2022, 12:00 noon Malaysian time.
- Supports delivery of AMCHAM’s government relations strategy and is a key point of contact for the Chamber;
- Requires being up-to-date and actively tracking policy and business issues that could impact member interests;
- Responds to policy challenges and opportunities, aiming to strengthen the Chamber’s ability to be “voice of American business”;
- Monitors proceedings and analyzing business, policy, and trade-related activities, keeping the Executive Director and related team(s) informed of relevant policy developments;
- Undertakes research and drafting of written submissions collateral various stakeholders including Govt. departments and media as and when necessary;
- Establishes and maintains two-way communication with relevant official bodies and stakeholders, and assists in developing new contacts;
- Provides insight and input into the development of new business areas where regulation & legislation may drive opportunities;
- Manages relationships with AMCHAM’s key stakeholders including maintaining all relevant databases;
- Contributes to the strategic communications of the Chamber;
- The scope includes local, state, federal, and international engagements
- A quick learner who is able to pick up and understand a range of complex policy and regulatory issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to summarise complex information succinctly and accurately; Work will be completed primarily in English (knowledge of Bahasa Malaysia is an important plus);
- Demonstrable experience of working with or writing economic and policy-related content;
- Ability to quickly grasp technical matters, and have the ability to communicate them to non-technical people;
- Ability to quickly build excellent working relationships at all levels;
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well under pressure, multi-task, and produce high quality and accurate work within tight deadlines;
- Flexible and ‘can do’ approach with a willingness to help and support the wider team;
- Confident and enthusiastic, with a passion to deliver work to a high standard;
- Relevant degree in business, economics, law, politics, international relations or equivalent qualification;
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for SouthEast Asian activity especially, Malaysian & U.S. business and related policy matters;
- Previous experience (3-5 years) working in Corporate Affairs, Policy or Government Affairs Public Relations or a related corporate environment is a plus;
Is it for Me?
- The opportunity to grow into a career (or enhance one) that engages with corporate affairs and policymakers;
- The opportunity to work with senior corporate executives from an array of industries as well as build a strong network with local, national, and regional government figures;
- Working in a fast-paced environment with evolving needs and in a diverse community; we have fun in between;
- Competitive local salary and a professional working environment.
Candidates who feel their skills and background are suitable for this position are encouraged to provide a COVER LETTER supporting their application along with their cv to [email protected]
The American Malaysian Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM), the “Voice for the U.S. businesses in Malaysia” The Government Relations Specialist will work with AMCHAM’s ~280 member companies (mostly large American multinationals) to identify trade and investment-related issues affecting American investors in Malaysia and to develop realistic and practical recommendations that AMCHAM can propose to decision-makers in government. They will work collaboratively to drive the Chamber’s advocacy engagements with the Malaysian government and other stakeholders.
This full-time position will report to the Chief Executive Officer and work in-sync with other team members. This position offers a high level of intellectual stimulation, breadth of exposure to a wide range of industries, opportunities to work with senior business leaders, and engagements across a broad range of government institutions.