Merchandising Manager GEOS Malaysia
Cargill is a unique place to grow your career, your experience and your abilities. Every day, we grow our reputation as a leading international producer of food, agricultural, financial and industrial products and services. We take pride in our global reach, ability to contribute, and strong work ethics and values. Founded in 1865, Cargill is a privately held company and employs 142,000 people in 66 countries with annual revenues in excess of $119 billion. Through innovation, creativity and teamwork, we are transforming entire markets and people’s lives worldwide, and we can have the same impact on your career. Discover how we can be Better Together at www.cargill.com
Why Join Us
Cargill’s deeply held values, together with our global reach and financial strength, allow us to provide continual opportunities for growth and learning. You will also have a stable, supportive and diverse environment in which to build the relationships that will ensure your success.
For those who share our sense of responsibility and pride in doing a job well, we can promise the chance to learn from exceptional colleagues, to contribute and to grow.
Level 22, Menara TM, Off Jalan Pantai Baru, 59200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Position Purpose & Summary
GEOS Malaysia has 3 refineries and packaging plants across Malaysia. The trading and merchandising department is responsible for managing all souricing/commodity-related risks and exploiting trading opportunities for the region. These include sourcing, hedging refined oil sales, proprietary trading, managing crude oil logistics as well as being the expert advisor on markets for both internal and external customers.
General note: Due to organizational changes, the focus will shift from mainly trading focused to local arbitrage/merchandising; asset optimization and business strategy.
The merchandising manager, generates income and manages identified risks by providing oversight and direction for complex Merchandising work, including Customer Interface, Risk Management, Analysis/Reporting/Data Management, Strategy Development/Execution Capacity, Commercial Asset and Supply Chain Management.
Accountable for merchandising PnL in palm; Laurics and Liquid oils and responsible for the GEOS Malaysia trading strategy (Europe and Malaysia joint strategies are coordinated centrally).
Provides leadership and development to the merchandising team in order to implement the merchandising commercial strategy.
Has a seat in the local leadership team (GEOS Malaysia).
The Merchandising manager works intensively with a wide variety of GEOS APAC stakeholders (Local leadership team; product line managers, supply chain, inbound, finance) as well as with a number of Cargill units like WTG, CASC and the various GEOS regions.
Strategy development/execution capacity
- Hedge commodity-related risks for the relevant books
- Define the trading game plan for the relevant books and oversee execution of same
- In function of the game plan, take, monitor and oversee the reporting of proprietary risk (flat price and stress) within defined CRC and region-internal limits
- Exploit arbitrage opportunities that exist between origins and create ‘kickers’ in refined sales where GEOS APAC sell on specifications
- In collaboration with the other Senior Traders and answering to the Tropical Oil Book Lead GEOS EMEA & AP, be responsible for at a minimum meeting the annual trading budget.
- Oversee the daily and month-end PNL calculation and analysis for the relevant book
- Understand and be able to deploy derivative risk – vanilla options and CRM tools that imply derivative risk
- Understand risk measurement techniques including but not limited to DVAR and stress
- Understand and hedge where possible peripheral risks – foreign exchange, macro, freight, counterparty risk for the relevant book
- Oversee trade execution and logistics in function of the region’s trading game plan and assume financial responsibility for pipeline management
- Lead knowledge sharing within own team and region, more specifically to the sales and PLM functions and to selected external parties including customers
- Applies a deep understanding of Trading practices and procedures.
- Full accountability in ensuring there is a strong risk governance environment and process around trading activities.
- Partners with senior members of the team in the development of business pricing and tender pricing strategies.
- Partners with other manager/supervisors to ensure the day-to-day work activities are carried out successfully within the team.
- Develops and maintains complex market risk solutions for key customers and suppliers.
- Has a seat in the MBR team (management business review: 24month forward looking); actively involved in the business strategy and has advisory role towards the leadership team around (non-) commodity related price risk.
- Enhance GEOS APAC’s ability to meet customers’ demands for sustainability scheme compliant oils and how we organize ourselves logistically.
- Enhance and utilize GEOS Malaysia relations with the industry, including but not limited to top-25 customers, traders, shippers and competitor-suppliers of tropical oils.
- Oversees current business relationships with strategic brokers, customers and agents to manage and monitor the merchandising book within a specific product market segment as defined by the Tropical Oil Book Lead GEOS EMEA & AP
- Provides input and guidancece on strategic internal and external stakeholder relationships.
- Collaborates, when applicable, with senior members of the team in developing and maintaining complex market risk solutions for key customers and suppliers.
- May manage trading books on behalf of customers who have purchased Cargill’s risk management products and expertise based on customer risk profile development and a deep understanding of Trading practices and procedures.
- Provides guidance on merchandising positions.
- Controls team’s low-medium risk positions by ensuring risk limits are stable and within the allotted range as decided by the GEOS limit policy.
- Risk limits are determined per Group by the CRC (Cargill Risk Committee) and Group Leaders
GEOS Malaysia Leadership team:
- Active contributing member of the local management team to provide input in the business short to medium term strategies (0-24months).
- Key member of the Management Business Review (MBR) Team, representing the merchandising and trading function. Focus of the MBR team is 12-24 months vulnerabilities and opportunities; issues and resolutions; proposed plan; gaps and gap closing; decisions.
- Oversees implementation of business strategies for a country and accountable for ensuring the implementation of required organizational change in order to meet company strategic objectives.
- Subject matter expert to the GM on risk related topics.
- Subject matter expert in strategic business development projects.
People leadership and talent management. Developing a high performing team in function of the Cargill Leadership expectations.
- Responsible for the team annual operating plan and subsequent individual key result areas: create vision, set clear goals, expectations and priorities for your team and hold them fully accountable to deliver against these objectives.
- Support the central talent placement and deployment process, provide inputs on employee movement and development, etc.
- Manages succession plans for the desk.
- Responsible for ensuring delivery of high quality training for new hires and CMT’s to ensure they obtain full knowledge and skill set required to reach their full potential.
- Provide a highly motivational environment for the merchandizing team that encourages them to excel in their tasks through such methods as active coaching, on the job training, team meetings, on-going recognition.
- Lead with support from HR the following key talent processes (recruitment, on-boarding, engagement, PMP, individual development plans).
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Master’s Degree
- 5-7 years of merchandizing experience, preferably in agri-commodities
- Proven ability in risk-taking and – pipeline management
- Proven PNL track record
- Proven exposure to and knowledge of shipping and pipeline management
- Proven track record in developing, leading and coaching teams
- Fluent in English
- Ability to deal with different cultures
- Analytically very strong
- Very accurate
- Knowledge of FOSFA; MEOMA, PORAM contracts and INCOTERMS or willing to acquire this knowledge
- Be able to work under stress.
- Be able to maintain strong external (i.e. industry) as well as Cargill-internal relationships
Please email your resume to Ms. Sarah Wong at Sarah_Wong@cargill.com